Save the planet, your wallet AND your wardrobe in one go.
April 22nd is Earth Day – celebrating the birth of the modern environmental movement , a day that inspired individuals, communities, business corporations to strive for a climate-positive society .
The fashion industry contributes to around 10%2 of global greenhouse gas emissions. As Gamechanger of the fashion industry, we want to share with you fashion tips that can help reduce waste and carbon footprint, so you can make wiser and better purchasing decisions.
Enter: “Cost per Wear”
In a nutshell, “cost per wear” is the price of a garment divided by the number of times worn. The more times a garment can be worn, the lower the cost per wear. This formula is a starting point when you’re considering purchasing new clothes and its wearability.
The key here is to shop for clothes that can withstand the test of time – in terms of both style and quality.
While it’s enjoyable to try something new and different, classics never go out of style and can be worn for a longer period of time compared to a trendy outfit that won’t stay relevant for long. It’s important to think about the versatility of the garment you’re buying:
- Does it match with more than 5 items in your wardrobe?
- Can they be worn on more than 2 occasions?
- From its color, cutting or fabric, is it a piece that will go out of trend?
Wardrobe basics are a worthy investment for everyone. By purchasing quality basics, you will always have an outfit that will withstand the test of time.
Fashion is a form of self-expression. You should feel comfortable and confident with your clothes as if they are your second skin. No one wants to wear clothes that are fraying or losing shape.
Consider the touch and feel of the fabric – there is no right or wrong, but it’s practical to compare different brands and find the right balance of comfort and durability. Few metrics to look into are: fabric type (cotton, linen, polyester), cotton fiber length (the longer the less likely to tear or pill), and more advanced technologies in fabric innovation including:
- Wrinkle-Free: Wrinkle-free technology saves you time from steaming and ironing, and reduces the cost of apparel care by skipping visits to the dry cleaner. Every DETERMINANT dress shirt features a 3.5 DP wrinkle-free rating on 100% cotton, your perfect balance to achieve fabric strength, durability and comfort.
- VISDRY: Our proprietary VISDRY technology prevents sweat stains and ensures the fabric remains intact, so you can stay sharp during meetings and gatherings even in the hot summer weather. (For the science nerds, this technology features a hydrophobic fabric surface and hydrophilic backside that simultaneously absorb sweat and evaporate moisture.)
- Anti-bacterial and Anti-Odor: In addition to the VISDRY technology, DETERMINANT's garments come with anti-odor and anti-bacterial properties to keep you feeling and smelling fresh and clean.
- Regal Finish: Regal finishing helps strengthen fabric by enhancing its natural elasticity and pilling resistance while ensuring color and shape retention.
The average person is buying more clothes but wearing them less: our average garment is now worn 36%3 fewer times than it was 15 years ago. With Earth Day as our annual reminder, we encourage you to evaluate your wardrobe, consider your “cost per wear” and make smarter purchase decisions with the tips above on shopping sustainably.